I remember a video really tickled me that won the prize on America’s Funniest Home videos in which a little girl told her mother that she had learned about God, the Holy Spirit, and Cheez-Its in church that day. Her mom replied, “Do you mean Jesus?” The little girl insisted, “No! I mean CHEEZ-ITS!”
In essence, this is exactly how Satan poses as an angel of light. He presents himself as Jesus except something is just a little bit off. It’s almost like his name sounds like Cheez-Its. He’s the Great Almost.
The Word says “…Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. It is not surprising, then, if his servants also masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.” 2 Corinthians 11:14-15
An “angel of light” in very simple terms is Satan posing himself as Jesus.
We must be careful in these last days to keep ourselves from counterfeit ministries, kingdoms, and people that are built on the Great Almost instead of the Great I AM.
Here are a few things to help keep your eyes open for:
1. The Great I AM doesn't have any strings attached when welcoming people to His Kingdom. Salvation is FREE if one believes in his heart and confesses with his mouth that Jesus is Lord, even for the worst of sinners.
The Great Almost has prerequisites in place. And once you “give” your life to Christ you must abide by a hundred different rules in order to keep your place in the Kingdom. But the truth is that your salvation does not rest on how much you obey God. It rests on the finish work of Christ. (side note: your eternal reward DOES rest on how much you obey Jesus – 1 Corinthians 3:12-15, but not your salvation.)
2. The Kingdom of the Great I AM is built on Grace AND Truth. He gives grace to the humble and truth for the proud. He gives grace to the repentant and truth for the wicked.
The kingdom of the Great Almost is built on a pendulum that swings back and forth between Religious Rules and Emotional Happiness. It does not care what the Word of God says – It says “you can’t be saved unless you are good.” And it swings to “God just wants you to be happy – so do whatever feels right.”
3. The Great I AM invites us to use our giftings to help build His Kingdom.
The Great Almost invites you to build your own “Barbie dream house” kingdom or the kingdom of another human being.
4. The Great I AM always sends an invitation to join Him, but He never forces someone.
The Great Almost and his followers – demand that you follow him and conform to his ways. They have no problem using force or manipulation if necessary.
5. True light from the Great I AM sets us free.
False light from the Great Almost puts us in bondage.
I am sorry to tell you that there are churches that are built on the Great I AM and there are churches that are built on the Great Almost.
There are people who serve Jesus, and there are people who serve Cheez-Its.
They look very similar on the outside. But when you really look at the kind of light they are shining – you have to ask yourself these questions:
1. Is there true liberty? Am I free to be myself, or must I conform to the cookie cutter pattern?
2. Do they believe the whole Word of God? Or do they teach the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law? Or do they conveniently leave out the hard parts of scripture in order to appease their personal doctrine?
3. Do they insist that I help to build “their” church/kingdom? Or encourage me to focus on the one Jesus is building?
4. If I left the church/person, would they let me go and love me unconditionally? Or would they insist that if I leave, I am wrong?
5. Does this church/person set me free or put me in bondage?
Sometimes it is really difficult to see the difference between the bright and blinding angel of light and the soft glow of the glory of God.
Telling the difference between the counterfeit and the real is something that we must be equipped to do in these last days! God’s true Kingdom is one of invitation to experience the unconditional love of Jesus, who is full of grace and truth. Anything outside of those parameters is an angel of light…or Cheez-Its.
Steps to Wholeness:
Father God, if there are any “angels of light” in my life, I ask for you to open my eyes to them. I pray that everything in my life would be built on the Kingdom of the Great I AM. Tear down everything in my life that is built on the Great Almost. I want You, Jesus! I want everything in my life to be pure and holy.
Deliver me from false kingdoms. Set me free that I might praise Your name.
In the mighty name of Jesus, AMEN